Our PE curriculum at Ashcombe enables children to participate and develop their own physical skills and strategies according to their own physical strengths and abilities. We are always keen to offer opportunities to compete against children in other schools and in a range of sporting opportunities. We follow an online PE scheme of work from Key PE Sport www.keypesports.com This enables us to ensure progression from our reception pupils to year 6. Our lessons encourage at least one hour of outdoor PE per week and one hour of indoor PE per week.
PE AT ASHCOMBE
Our aims are to:
- Involve our pupils in the continuous process of planning, performing and evaluating all areas of activity
- Provide activities in which all children may participate with enjoyment
- Provide appropriate opportunities for competitive challenge
- Encourage the development of positive attitudes and a healthy lifestyle
- Ensure safe practice during physical activity
- All staff at Ashcombe aim to promote and encourage sportsmanship, team spirit and the need to improve performance through healthy physical activity
The National Curriculum requires all children leaving Primary School are able to swim at least 25 metres.
At Ashcombe Primary School we believe swimming is a hugely important life skill, which is why we are aiming to offer all children the opportunity to learn water safety and gain confidence in the water whilst learning to swim during their time at school. Currently our children learn to swim in years 3 and 4.
What is Sport Premium?
The Government provided funding of £450 million per annum for academic years 2013/14, 2014/15 and 2015/16 to provide "new, substantial primary school sport funding’. From September 2016/17 – 2019/20 the funding has been doubled. This funding has been jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport; the money has been allocated directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools. The Government has continued this pledge and funding of an extra £150 million a year will be shared between Primary Schools in England until 2020.
Funding for schools is calculated by the number of primary-aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11) as at the annual schools census each January. All schools with 17 or more primary-aged pupils.
Sport Premium Summary
North Somerset Inter School Athletics Event